VLSub is not working with Vlc 2.1.x, please update to 2.2.
Search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org using the hash of the video currently playing or its title.
- download the file from the "Files" tab above
- create a directory "extensions" at this location and put the file "vlsub.lua" inside:
* Windows (all users): %ProgramFiles%VideoLANVLCluaextensions
* Windows (current user): %APPDATA%vlcluaextensions
* Linux (all users): /usr/lib/vlc/lua/extensions/
* Linux (current user): ~/.local/share/vlc/lua/extensions/
* Mac OS X (all users): /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/lua/extensions/
* Mac OS X (current user): /Users/%your_name%/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc/lua/extensions/
...or use the installer below if you're on Windows 7 (32 or 64)
To start the extension click on View > VLSub or Vlc > Extensions > VLSub on Mac OS.
* Impossible to automatically save the subtitles on Windows if the path to your video contain non ASCII (non-english) characters and the "search by hash" method will be slower.
* The "search by hash" method will fail on Windows if for video files >2Go (if VLC is compiled with lua 5.1 anyway)
/! Troubleshooting /!
If you have other issue you can ask for a solution here or on github but please get the full vlc debug log and add it as a pastebin to your post. The procedure is explained here:
Support http chunked transfer encoding 4 months ago
Fix broken extension after opensubtitles uses a new CDN
2 years ago
Fix error with http 301 redirection
Fix subtitles loading on Vlc 2.2
Fix a bug due to opensubtitles header modifications