Image 01
profile-image

MxCl

Max Howell
KDE 3 Color Schemes
System Software

Filelight

System Software Sep 01 2006
Score 84%
84 Likes
16 Dislikes
Dragon Player

Video Players 278 comments

by eean
Score 79%
79 Likes
21 Dislikes
Feb 26 2008
> ability to reuse the opened windows

This is basically by design. I never liked it when videos replaced the current instance. If enough people want the other behaviour then it could be made an option.

> an option to hide the right bar that
> asks about resizing the windows, it
> is very distracting and hard to
> ignore.

Unless you play 5 videos a minute, I can't see how this would get that annoying.

> an ability to change aspect ratios
> from right clicking a video windows
> instead of going to the menus

Seems a little hardcore.

> have a way to clear or delete entries
> in the receant played videos

Yeah I should add this.

> I noticed that codeine doesnt have a
> configuration settings of its own,
> why not of you dont mind?

I prefer to pick sensible behaviour and not make it configurable. This way if it's wrong people tell you about it and the application improves. If you make everything configurable you never find out that actually, the default application sucks. I think you are demonstrating my theory ;)

> start all my videos with a specific
> aspect ratio( i always watch my video
> with 16:9 ratio and its tedious to
> change it with every video)

Yeah this is doable.

> make codeine reuse an already running
> instance if a video file is clicked
> from konqueror for example or opening
> another instant like it is now.

This too.

> always hide that bar about resizing
> windows. i always run codeine with
> the same window dimensions and i
> really do not want to be asked this
> question every time.

I spose this can be done, but I think you are being a little fickle ;)

To easily force Codeine to be a single instance app. Change the KApplication to KUniqueApplication in main.cpp.

Have fun! And thanks for the pointers. - Mar 16 2007
I changed this in 1.0.1, no? If no, it's a bug. Please report a few more details. - Aug 22 2006
Install xine-devel. - Jul 06 2006
It distorts above 120 for most streams. 100 = normal volume.

The volume control is basically unfinished, hopefully I'll get it working right for 1.0.2. Cheers. - Jul 06 2006
I'll try to solve this with 1.0.2. Thanks :) - May 16 2006
hmm, it's a pity the system slave isn't redirected, I'll add support.

Eventually KIO can be native so I don't have to add support all the time for different slaves. - May 16 2006
So.. where's your xine? - May 11 2006
Heh, I apologise for my snide comment. I am interested by the fact there are RPMs available, and will advertise the fact in due course. Thanks for the packages, and for not reacting badly to my rudeness... :) - May 03 2006
Use a proper distribution n00B :P - Apr 13 2006
Hopefully fixed with the upcoming release. - Apr 04 2006
Hopefully fixed in version coming after this date. Thanks for the report. - Mar 29 2006
I've made XTest optional, stay tuned for a new release. Of course without the screensaver can't be disabled.. But well this at least compiles right? Oh how I long for binary distribution... :( - Mar 29 2006
1. I may remove the stop menu entry altogether, as there is no reason to use it really. It's only there due to popular demand. It's nowhere other than the menu as it's no use.

2. I'll have to look into this.

3. It did do this in the 1.0-betas, I changed it as I don't think it's much use really, and mostly because KDE handles this badly (so does Windows) and you just can't find Codeine in the taskbar with normal Videos having 200 character long titles. For KDE 4 I hope KWin and co. will have separate atoms for Document Title and Application Name, so this can be handled better. Until then I don't think much is lost by not showing it like this. The problem is complex, and basically titles are too damn long to show in a useful way, is it more useful to show Codeine or "some seriously long title about...", I felt the former.

4. Good idea

5. Hmm I thought I'd fixed it, thanks.

6. Good idea again :-)

7. Toolbars at the top are more normal for KDE applications, and I don't know any good reason why video players tend to go bottom (please enlighten me if you know). The lack of realtime update for video is because xine doesn't always do this well, and because I have a better solution that I plan for the future. Maybe for 1.1 I'll do realtime as you are right, this is better.

Thanks for the comments, and I hope you reply. - Oct 07 2005
The play button is a toggle button, clicking it will play when toggled and pause when untoggled. When the no video is loaded the play button is untoggled.

People aren't used to a toggle play button, so they struggle a little with this, but it really is the best solution for playback controls. I'd like amaroK to use the same.

The reason the icon doesn't change is because I think changing the icon is confusing. The icon should stay the same if possible as you shouldn't be making people worried about what the new function of the toolbar button is.

The icon and text does change in the menu though, as menus are different IMO, since they are a list of functions and people don't mind if they change, while toolbars are a defining anchor in the application.

Thanks for the comment, and I'm happy to debate this point with you if you'd like :-) - Oct 07 2005
Good catch! :) Fixed in my local copy. Currently codeine is just my project, I'm looking to making is a sf project or something though. Stay tuned.. - Sep 13 2005
xine supports OGM, but I believe that OGM is just a container that supports any codec. xine probably supports MKV as well. Basically, it depends on xine-lib. - Sep 13 2005
I also use xine-lib 1.1 and it works ok here. What is the error/problem? - Sep 13 2005
The soundcard is muted. The interruption is just that, it's not a CPU thing or anything. This is a xine issue IMO, but I'm aware of it since beta3 and will work around it when I have a decent solution. - Sep 07 2005
Hmm thanks for the bug report. Will fix for 1.0.1 or 1.1. - Sep 07 2005
Software volume control is planned for 1.1, although by default it will not be in the toolbar.

The play button doesn't become pause. It is a toggle button. When playing, the play button is toggled, but if you untoggle it, the video pauses. This is the cleanest solution to the mess that is media player playback control in my-long-formulated-opinion. I hope you agree.

Subtitle support is planned for 1.1.

Thanks. - Sep 07 2005
Thanks, it's really nice to get comments like these :-) - Sep 06 2005
Yeah I do agree, but the problem is xine doesn't make it possible to distinguish between a sane option and an option that only God would want to change. So it's kinda hard to fix. But yes I see your point and have been thinking about what I could do about it. Thanks for the comments! :) - Aug 31 2005
Thanks for the comment, but I don't see a reason to remove it. Inconsistency with the otherwise KISS philosophy doesn't bother me as the application is very simple, except for this dialog, something you only see if you request it. What I mean is, the complicated dialog is not visible during any normal usage. Full xine-configuration was requested by a number of users, and because of the way xine is, it only requires 30 lines of code to generate the dialog, so it's not bloating the app. The reason I provide it is that without full configuration there is no convenient way to fix a broken xine. As it says in the dialog, there is no reason to even use the dialog unless xine isn't working properly. - Aug 29 2005
> Do you have plans to add support for > subtitles? Yes, Codeine already does if the subtitles are embedded in the video. Support for subtitles in separate files will next release. > And what about adding the > possibility to hide and pause > codeine with one action like > kaffeine offers it with a click on > the tray icon? I don't really understand. Can you explain a little more verbosely, thanks :) - Aug 09 2005
kde-apps is so buggy at the moment! What happened to my paragraph separators?! - Jul 24 2005
1. Yeah skipping forward and backwards is not great. I want to improve this, but xine-lib is not great at scanning through media for most formats. But I do intend to try to improve things, I have some ideas. 2.As far as I can tell, it does disappear after 4 seconds of not moving. This has always been coded in. Maybe I've missed a bug, can you provide a test-case for this not working? 3. This is unfortunately the KDE standard. U is the key in English translations for the menu shortcut for full screen mode. I don't really want to go against the KDE way for things like this as people who learn the shortcuts will find Codeine annoyingly different. F still works when the menu isn't up, as that is the general keyboard accelerator for fullscreen mode. - Jul 24 2005
Yeah it's better to use real scons, as the mini-scons won't get bug fixes etc. Also good to be in portage, thanks muchy! :-) - Jul 21 2005
Actually I haven't been able to read email for 5 weeks because my host is shit and suddenly I can't get at any mails. My mailbox is currently 100MB and rising. They still don't know what to do about it.

Sorry for the lack of contact. But I'm still coming to akademy! - Jul 21 2005
So they are like chapters?

Yeah next chapter back chapter buttons are needed, definately. DVD support aint great yet. They play, but aren't handled well by the GUI. That'll be a priority for 1.1 I've already decided. Hope that's good enough, thanks :-) - Jul 21 2005
Can you describe to me what a 3-in-1 DVD is, so I can figure out how to support it? I've not heard of these before and don't really know what they are, is it DVD video still? - Jul 21 2005
Hmm, I confess I've never tested it for VCDs because I have none. I'll try to get hold of one and test that. Sorry for the problems. - Jul 21 2005
Thanks eean, I updated the link up the top. - Jul 20 2005
Boring story, but I'll swing round next time I boot into KDE.. =) - Jul 20 2005
KFTPgrabber

FTP 106 comments

Score 83%
83 Likes
17 Dislikes
Apr 28 2007
Very slow transfers for many files. Totally unecessary bubble popups for a totally unecessary systray icon, every file.

And it hung halfway through. Then various other things broke.

Shows promise. But currently I cannot rely on it. - Dec 29 2006
True transparency for Konsole

Various KDE 1.-4. Improvements 41 comments

Score 76%
76 Likes
24 Dislikes
Nov 05 2006
Good job, works perfectly :) - Dec 16 2006
kFlickr

Graphic Apps 56 comments

Score 81%
81 Likes
19 Dislikes
Aug 18 2010
Edit photolistview.cpp, change the line in PhotoListViewItem::PhotoListViewItem() so

m_size = "Large 768x1024";

This sets the default size for uploads to Large.

Obviously this is a hack, hopefully the author will make it configurable. 20MB isn't much per month when uploading original sized images! - Oct 21 2006
Filelight

System Software 125 comments

by MxCl
Score 84%
84 Likes
16 Dislikes
Sep 01 2006
Follow the URL in my previous comment. It's nothing to do with the spelling it's to do with the unit standards defined by the Scientific Institute. - Aug 22 2006
Yeah, I'll probably change it, no need to be confusing for puritan reasons. Anyway the justification for GiB/MiB is poor. - Aug 19 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

I almost agree with you, but the prevalence of GiB is increasing, and I am a scientist. - Aug 19 2006
Blimey, it's been broken for sooo long. Now fixed, thanks for heads-up. - Feb 10 2006
conTEXT

Amarok 1.x Scripts 42 comments

Score 50%
50 Likes
50 Dislikes
Jun 29 2013
Woah. Unecessary agression.

Google doesn't care about case so his point is sound. Calm down. - Aug 19 2006
ScreenKast

Screen Recorders 90 comments

Score 81%
81 Likes
19 Dislikes
Sep 15 2006
Please describe the dependencies of this tool, so I can figure out if I can satisfy them before I download. - Jul 17 2006
SkinClear

Various KDE 1.-4. Improvements 6 comments

Score 33%
33 Likes
67 Dislikes
Jul 16 2006
You aren't the only one who can't figure out what it does from the description. - Jul 17 2006
katapult

Various KDE 1.-4. Improvements 116 comments

Score 84%
84 Likes
16 Dislikes
Jul 01 2007
Great tool, good work. It is inevitable that people will recommend Katapult to all their friends :) - Jun 06 2006
KBasic

Developers Apps 6 comments

Score 74%
74 Likes
26 Dislikes
Jan 16 2009
You sir are pathetic. - Apr 24 2006
klik

Various KDE 1.-4. Improvements 40 comments

Score 79%
79 Likes
21 Dislikes
Dec 19 2006
Seemingly everyone is hung up on undecipherable 3 letter file extensions. Why did you not pick .klik?

Not to belittle your invention, it's cool =) Just I've yet to see anyone use sensible file extensions in the entirety of software. Oh actually the autopackage guys picked .package, and I applaud them for their choice. - Oct 15 2005
Yakuake

System Software 1025 comments

by Sho
Score 92%
92 Likes
8 Dislikes
Mar 28 2018
Couldn't you say what it is and what it does and what is special about it above? Even the official website doesn't have a product description. I can see it's like Kuake, but only because I've used Kuake before.

So yes, please add a product description, thanks. - Oct 11 2005
Kaffeine Player

Video Apps 179 comments

Score 86%
86 Likes
14 Dislikes
Jul 06 2008
Apologies, I glanced over the KMPlayer xine code once and saw some stuff that looked like bits, but I was apparently wrong. And it only would have been a little less efficient to blit anyway. Certainly, it's far better to not crash, which is what Kaffeine/Codeine do! - Sep 09 2005
KMplayer runs a xine instance in another process then blits the image to the KApplication. This is less efficient, but at least avoids the crash. For Codeine I fixed the same bug by removing the call to XInitThreads for the KPart. This however solves the problem by creating another crash bug I believe. But it's a rare freeze bug instead or something. Jurgen knows more on this subject I reckon, and I hope he relies to this post. - Aug 09 2005
TagLib

Audio Apps 33 comments

Score 70%
70 Likes
30 Dislikes
Feb 22 2008
NT - Jul 27 2005